The New York Flute Club sponsors:
- A professional concert series
- The New York Flute Fair
- An ensemble program
- A monthly newsletter
- An education and enrichment program
- Commissions of new music for flute
- A variety of publications and recordings
- Free admission and two guest tickets to monthly concerts
- Ensemble program
- Access to extensive member directory
- Free listing of members' events in our online and newsletter calendars
- Monthly newsletter
Welcome to The New York Flute Club
Winners of the 2015 NYFC Competition Selected
The winners of the 2015 New York Flute Club Competition held on March 15 at the Flute Fair were 1st place: David Ordovskiy; 2nd place: Julie Lee; and 3rd place: Giorgio Consolati. Congratulations to each of them and to all who competed.
Come to our April 26 concert at which David and Julie perform and a video screening of Giorgio's April 2015 Julliard performance will be shown.
Our 2014-2015 Season
Our 2014-15 season proudly featured concerts and classes with Emma Resmini, Mark Sparks, Paul Dunkel, Katherine Fink, piccoloist Jean-Louis Beaumadier, and jazz flutist, Nicole Mitchell. The Flute Fair, "Chasing Your Dream," highlighted the artistry of the MacArthur "Genius" Award recipient, Claire Chase.
News and Updates
- Flute Fair "Thank You" from Wendy Stern, President of NYFC
Another very successful Flute Fair took place on March 15, 2015. To our numerous, wonderful volunteers: I cannot thank you enough. Your help was integral to this event, as everyone was a volunteer—the performers, presenters, judges, coordinators, stage managers, page turners, and badge checkers alike.
As the list includes over 100 names, I will not include them all here, but I would like to give special thanks to our program chair, Deirdre McArdle; our intern, Lauren Wuerth; the on-site volunteer coordinator, Steve Smith; the off-site competition managers, Karla Moe, Sue Ann Kahn, Carla Auld, and Soo-Kyung Park; photographers Brian Klasewitz, Spencer Lloyd, and Joe Melhado; Jayn Rosenfeld for masterminding the appearance of Claire Chase; Steinway for donating the pianos; and everyone on the Board (and their immediate family members) for their many hours of preparation and extraordinary execution of the plans. THANK YOU!
- We are happy to announce that The New York Flute Club Competition First Prize is sponsored by the Flute Center of New York. We thank Phil Unger for his ongoing contributions to the flute community of New York.
- Congratulations to the winners of the Young Musicians Contest held March 8. Come hear the winners perform his or her audition piece in a concert at the New York Flute Fair on March 15 at 2pm.
Winners. Age 8 and Under: William M. Garitty. Age 9-11: Sophie Malagraph. Age 12-14: Sean Marron. Age 15-17: Jamie Morein.
Honorable Mention: Age 9-11: Eunhye Choi. Age 12-14: Nadira Novruzov and Grace Helmke. Age 15-17: Jonah Murphy and
- 2014 Composition Competition Winners. The New York Flute Club is very pleased to announce the results of the 2014 Composition Competition. We received 80 entries from nine countries and from all over the United States and were excited by the diverse and inspiring array of creative work for flute and piano. The compositions selected for prizes and to be featured at the 2015 New York Flute Fair on March 2015 are:
1st prize: the Bath Clown Duo by Scott Rubin
2nd prize: Credo by Heeyoung Yang
3rd prize: They Move with No One Watching: Dances by Nadine Dyskant-Miller
Become a Member
You can join or renew your membership online and, with membership, be able to access our current newsletters, view ourmembership directory, edit your profile, and list your upcoming concerts in Member Events. More member benefits are listed on our membership registration page.
The New York Flute Club, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of flute playing and the appreciation of flute music. It provides a common meeting ground for professional, student, and amateur flutists and offers performance opportunities for flutists and composers. We welcome as members musicians and music lovers who are interested in the flute and flute music. Founded in1920 by eminent flutist Georges Barrère, composer Lamar Stringfield, and a group of their associates, The New York Flute Club is the oldest such organization in the United States. Hear Georges Barrère in 1941 playing a transcription of the gamelan piece Lagu Ardja by Colin McPhee.