Concerts, Events & More
Young Musicians Contest 2024
Contest Date: Sunday, February 25, 2024 • 9 am to 5 pm
Application deadline: Thursday, February 1, 2024
The Young Musicians Contest, first held in 2008, was designed to foster the development of young local flutists by exposing them to a healthy competitive environment and allowing them to receive constructive comments from professional flutists.The contest is divided into four age groups for students playing the Western concert flute (Boehm flute in C): ages 8 and under, 9 to 11, 12 to 14, and 15 to 18 (in the last category, students must currently be in high school or the home schooling equivalent). Students who play non-Western flutes (e.g., pan flute, African harmonic flute, Chinese bamboo flute, shakuhachi) will be judged separately by judges who have experience with the students' instrument. This year, regular applications for the Young Musicians Contest are due Thursday, February 1, 2024 and early bird applications are due Monday, January 1, 2024.
The contest will take place on Sunday, February 25, 2024.
School for Strings
419 West 54th Street, New York, New York, 10019
Winners will be announced on or before Sunday, March 3, 2024. Winners will perform at the New York Flute Club’s Annual Flute Fair, scheduled for Sunday, March 24, 2024.
Each contestant will receive emailed comment sheets from all the judges, in addition to a physical certificate with a colored ribbon reflecting one of three levels of awards.
- Blue Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is highly polished. Given to students who demonstrate a high level of skill, musicality, and preparation as well as good stage presence and an overall comfort with the instrument and performing.
- Red Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is well prepared. Given to students who have abundant talent as musicians and should consider work in several areas to fully realize their potential.
- Yellow Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is "in progress." Given to students who have substantial potential as musicians and should consider the judges' comments for further study.
We suggest that contestants play the pieces that show their strengths so that the comments they receive will be helpful to improve their flute playing. Memorization is not required, and it is completely up to the contestant whether to memorize or not. Contestants may enter in multiple years to participate in different age categories with more challenging pieces as their musicianship and flute skills grow. However, previous winners are not eligible to compete again in the same age and instrument category. In addition, applicants are limited to a single application per year (so a player of Western and non-Western flutes must decide which category to compete in).
- For students who study with a private flute teacher, their teacher must be a 2023-2024 NYFC member. If a teacher is not a member, he or she must join or renew before the applicant submits the contest application. Contestants and teachers do not have to be based in the NYC area.
- Complete an application and pay the entrance fee ($35 on or before the January 1, 2024 early-bird deadline, or $45 by the February 1, 2024 regular deadline). If you need help with the application fee, please contact Caroline Sonett-Assor at email@example.com to apply for assistance.
- Be willing to perform in the winners' recital at the 2023 NYFC Flute Fair, held in-person in New York City, on Saturday, March 18.
- One piece written for either solo flute or flute and piano. Individual movements of multi-movement works are allowed but cuts or alterations are not. Pieces written with piano accompaniment must be performed with the accompaniment. Contestants unable to bring their own accompanist may use the one provided by the Club if scheduled in advance (to do so, email Caroline Sonett-Assor at firstname.lastname@example.org). There is no charge for using the accompanist at the contest or Flute Fair performances, but a $30 per half hour charge for any rehearsals..
Prizes: The winner in each age category will receive a winner's certificate and will perform in the winners' recital at the NYFC 2023 Flute Fair. The NYFC will cover the full cost of the piano accompaniment for the flute fair.
Deadline: The early-bird application deadline is Monday, January 1, 2024 and the regular application deadline is Thursday, February 1, 2024. Previous winners are not eligible to compete in the same age category. For more information, please contact contest coordinator Caroline Sonett-Assor at email@example.com.
Proof of age: a copy of your birth certificate, passport, Real ID, or driver’s license is required as proof of eligible age. Please upload a picture of your proof of age in the online application.
Online application: Your online application (no more than one per contestant) must be submitted no later than February 1, 2024. Payment is by PayPal. The application fee is $35 until January 1, 2024 and $45 between January 2 and February 1, 2024. PLEASE INCLUDE THE STUDENT'S NAME IN THE "INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT" BOX ON THE PAYPAL TRANSACTION. (If you have a problem submitting online, please let us know.)
Past YMC winners
More about past YMC winners can be found here.