Young Musicians Contest 2019
Sunday, February 10, 2019, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
School for Strings
419 West 54th Street
New York, New York, 10019
The contest is divided into four age groups: ages 8 and under, 9 to 11, 12 to 14, and 15 to 18 years of age (In the last category, students must currently be in high school or the home schooling equivalent). This year's contest will take place on Sunday, February 10, 2019. A winner is then chosen from each category to perform his or her audition piece in a concert at the New York Flute Fair, this year on Sunday, March 17, 2019. The Young Musicians Contest, first held in 2008, was designed to foster the development of young local flutists by exposing them to a healthy competitive environment and allowing them to receive constructive comments from professional flutists in town.
Each contestant will receive comment sheets from all the judges, in addition to a certificate with a colored ribbon reflecting one of three levels of awards.
- Blue Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is highly polished. Given to students who demonstrate a high level of skill, musicality, and preparation as well as good stage presence and an overall comfort with the instrument and performing.
- Red Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is well prepared. Given to students who have abundant talent as musicians and should consider work in several areas to fully realize their potential.
- Yellow Ribbon Awards: Audition piece is "in progress." Given to students who have substantial potential as musicians and should consider the judges' comments for further study.
We suggest that contestants play the pieces which show their strengths so that the comments they receive will be helpful to better their flute playing. Memorization is not required, and it is completely up to the contestant whether to memorize or not. Contestants may enter in multiple years to participate in different age categories with more challenging pieces as their musicianship and flute skills grow. However, previous winners are not eligible to compete again in the same age category.
- Have a teacher who is a 2018-2019 NYFC member. If a teacher is not a member, he or she must join or renew before the applicant submits the contest application.
- Complete an application and pay the entrance fee ($35 on or before the January 18, 2019 early-bird deadline, or $45 by the January 25, 2019 regular deadline).
- Be available to perform in the winners' recital at the NYFC Flute Fair on Sunday, March 17, 2019, if chosen.
Repertoire: One piece written for either solo flute or flute and piano. Individual movements of multi-movement works are allowed but cuts or alterations are not. Pieces written with piano accompaniment must be performed with the accompaniment. Contestants unable to bring their own accompanist may use the one provided by the Club if scheduled in advance (to do so, email Barbara Siesel at firstname.lastname@example.org). There is no charge for using the accompanist at the contest or Flute Fair performances, but a $30 per half hour charge for any rehearsals.
Prizes: The winner in each age category will receive an award and will perform in the winners' recital at the NYFC Flute Fair on Sunday, March 17, 2019.
Deadline: The application deadline is January 25, 2019. Previous winners are not eligible to compete in the same age category. For more information, please contact contest coordinator Barbara Siesel.
Proof of age: a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license is required as proof of eligible age. Please bring to the contest to show when you check in.
- By Mail. Please complete an application and send it with a check, made payable to "The New York Flute Club," to Barbara Siesel, Barbara Siesel, 271 Fort Washington Avenue, Apt 2A, New York, NY 10032. The application fee is $35 until January 18, 2019, $45 until January 25, 2019.
- Online. Your online application must be submitted no later than January 25, 2019. Payment is by PayPal. The application fee is $35 until January 18, 2019, $45 until January 25, 2019. PLEASE INCLUDE THE STUDENT'S NAME IN THE "INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT" BOX ON THE PAYPAL TRANSACTION. (If you have a problem submitting online, please let us know.}